Here’s another one of my SPECIAL LADIES, Mercedes Sosa.
I was reminded to do a post on this LEGEND, when I heard Doma’s track featuring her vocals and what a GREAT tribute it is to her too. I never got around to it cause I was waiting for Doma to make it available as a download which has not happened yet but he says it will happen soon.
However, I was reminded yet again to do this post after checking out Vince’s post on Sunday in connection with the Super Sonido blog. So I go and visit the blog and find Mercedes occupying the front page post with one of her most famous and one of my favourite tracks and so it just had to happen.
I simply could not put it in any better words and so here’s what Super Sonido said about her:
I’m kind of a sucker for Latin American folk music. It’s almost like a gateway into what activism would be like in 1970’s South America. Very passionate, hopeful, and heartfelt music. And it was the hugely popular Argentine Mercedes Sosa, with her progressive and politicized lyrics, who would eventually become best known as the voice of the “voiceless ones”.
Read my prior post on Carlos Canzani y La Nueva Canción. Like Canzani, Sosa suffered the same fate during the oppressive military junta that began in 1976 Argentina. She would eventually be arrested on stage in 1979, banned from her native country, and exiled to France and Spain.
Sosa returned to Argentina in 1982, several months before the military regime collapsed as a result of the Falklands War. This 45 comes from the 1985 live album Vengo a ofrecer mi corazón (I come to offer my heart) during the democratically elected Raúl Alfonsín’s government. Gracias A La Vida (thank you to life) is a positive reflection of some of the democratic changes that were more or less occuring in Argentina at that time.
GRAB A CLASSIC TRACK:
STREAM A FANTASTIC TRIBUTE
1. Piedra y camino Atahualpa Yupanqui
2. Guitarra dímelo tú Atahualpa Yupanqui
3. Chacarera de las piedras Atahualpa Yupanqui – Pablo del Cerro
4. Tú que puedes vuélvete Atahualpa Yupanqui
5. La viajerita Atahualpa Yupanqui
6. Los hermanos Atahualpa Yupanqui
7. Criollita santiagueña A. Chazarreta- Atahualpa Yupanqui
8. La alabanza Atahualpa Yupanqui – Hnos. Díaz
9. La arribeña Rec. Atahualpa Yupanqui
10. Duerme negrito Rec. Atahualpa Yupanqui
11. Zambita de los pobres Atahualpa Yupanqui
12. El alazán Atahualpa Yupanqui