Very interesting mixtape here with a great concept, so glad someone put this together. I know a few of the artists on the mixtape and some I’ve never heard of, which is all good.
Here’s what Nomadic Wax say:
World Hip Hop Women: From The Sound Up is the latest mixtape project from Nomadic Wax and World Hip Hop Market. Unlike most main stream male dominated hip hop releases, this mixtape focuses solely on female emcees from around the world and their powerful messages through their music.
It features artists from 15 countries ranging from Iranian MCS to Zimbabwean artists and is combined with insane beats such as Spanish dancehall and new dub step from South Africa. This formidable collaboration makes this mixtape both unique and compelling. To complete the album, it is expertly mixed together by Detroit’s Dj LaJedi.
The World Hip Hop Women are fierce emcees creating music that transcends language barriers, cultural differences, and gender bias while at the same time many of these women are stepping into a realm of music that has not been entered into before by female musicians. This is truly captured by Dj LaJedi who stated:
“I salute every artist who contributed to the mixtape for their courage and commitment to the spirit of creativity. Many of these women are carving paths where there are none. They embody ‘firsts’ of all kinds: MC Black Bird – first female to release a hip hop record in Zimbabwe; Soultana – member of Tigress Flow, first all-female hip hop crew in Morocco; Masia One – first female to be
nominated for Canada’s Much Music Award; Shadia Mansour – The First Lady of Arab Hip Hop; MC Melodee – Holland’s leading Lady in Hip Hop; DJ Naida – Zimbabwe’s #1 female DJ, EmpresS *1 is Egypt’s First Female Egyptian Rapper and on and on. They are assuming leadership roles in their native communities and beyond through endeavors that prove their conscious attitudes regarding love, truth, peace, freedom of expression and social justice.
The mixtape is hosted by Toronto’s Eternia, a frequent collaborator with both Nomadic Wax and World Hip Hop Market, while the cover art is provided by Detroit’s premeire graffiti writer, muralist and graphic designer Sintex. Ultimately, the intention of the collaborative effort of World Hip Hop Women: From The Sound Up is to inspire cross-cultural collaborations with opportunities for awareness, growth, and understanding.
For full artist information:
Grab it here:
1. Eternia + MoSS – “The BBQ Remix (ft. Tiye Phoenix & Jean Grae)” (Canada/USA/prod: MoSS)
2. M.C. Melodee – “Cha Cha Cha 2011” (Netherlands/prod: Cookin Soul)
3. Masia One – “Warriors Tongue” (Canada/Singapore/prod: Che Vicious & Travis Von Cartier)
4. Mad Muasel – “Soloyo” (Spain/prod: JML)
5. Ana Tijoux + Invincible – “Sube” (Chile/USA/prod: Hordatoj & Ana Tijoux)
6. Raw-G AKA Gina Madrid – “Conexiones Subterraneas (ft. Aima the Dreamer) (Mexico/USA/prod: Cubo)
7. Shadia Mansour – “Al Kufeyyeh 3Arabeyyeh” (UK/Palestine/prod: Sandhill & Johnny Juice)
8. Soultana – “Sawt Nssa (Women’s Voice)” (Morocco/prod: Itoube Music)
9. Sa-Roc – “Fine Line” (USA/prod: Sol Messiah)
10. Bella Shanti – “Saint or Sinner” (New Zealand/prod: Soul Chef)
11. El Gambina – “Sunny Days” (Korea/USA/prod: Jony Fraze)
12. Mana, Mia Lone, Triple Threat & Opal Rose – “Young Girl” (Iran/USA/prod: Blackheart)
13. The Foundation Of 5E: Taneesha, Insite The Riot, Jade, Nik Nak, Mahogany Jonz, DJ LaJedi – “The Foundation” (USA/prod: AEetech)
14. Black Bird – “H-Town Hustler” (Zimbabwe/S. Africa/Zambia/prod: Jusa Dementor)
15. Peridot (formerly Queen Herawin of The Juggaknots) – “So” (USA/prod: SINQUE)
16. Invincible + Waajeed – “Emergence” (USA/prod: Waajeed)
17. Las Krudas Cubensi – “No Me Dejaron” (Cuba/prod: Odaymara Cuesta, Olivia Prendes & DJ Mike)
18. Lithal Li – “Eye The Con” (South Africa/prod: Yves Adler)
19. Black Athena, Versy, Burni (Jitzvinger, Caco) – “Disputing Claims” (South Africa/prod: Shaheen Arifdien)
20. EmpresS*1 – “Rap Renaissance/Bent Belady” (Egypt/UK/prod: Silent Sym/Asteeka)
21. DJ Naida – “Done” (Zimbabwe/prod: Xndr)
Produced by World Hip Hop Market (worldhiphopmarket.com) and Nomadic Wax (nomadicwax.org)
Mixed by DJ LaJedi (facebook.com/lajedi)
Hosted by Eternia (facebook.com/eterniamusic)
Mastering by Dan Cantor, Notable Productions (notable.com)
Cover Design by Sintex (www.facebook.com/sintex.artist?fref=ts)
Back Cover by Ben Herson, Nomadic Wax