It’s been a while since we’ve seen the German nu-cumbiambero Andrés Digital, but now he’s back with his 6th EP called ‘La Revancha de Andrés Digital’, released yesterday on KONN recordings and TropicalBass.
A ‘revancha’ is a revenge with style. With five very diverse but prime-quality cumbia tracks, Andrés shows he is still on top of his game like a chevalier from the old Mexican North-West.
1. ‘I wanna be like you’ is a cumbification of the legendary swing soundtrack of Disney’s Junglebook, sung by Louis Prima.
2. ‘Know your Rights’ is a delicate combined of the legendary song with the same title by the punkband The Clash, with vocals from the Jamaican-English reggae-dub artist Linton Kwesi Johnson and punk singer Johnny Rotten. A classic reggaeton dembow is added to spice up your next protest march with sensual waist-moves.
3. ‘Noches de Amor’ is a delicous, groovy edit of a Colombian classic by Alfredo Gutiérrez & Calixto Ochoa.
4. ‘Me Duele el Alma’ is a tribute to the Afro-Caribbean roots of Colombian cumbia, remixing this amazing song from the folkloristic cumbia artist Maria Mulata!
5. ‘Cerveja’ is Andrés crazy cumbiaton interpretation of one of Generation Bass’ all-time favourite zouk bass bangers from JSTJR!
And for anyone who’s not yet convinced by my words only, there’s this..
Grab the EP for free on the artist’s bandcamp!